Saturday, July 11, 2009

Inviting Gossip

Often the worst kind of gossip is the kind that is not malicious. People gossip about their enemies with evil intent, and this is often harmful. But the worst gossip is the gossip spread by friends who intend only good.

How does this happen? Friends think they know what is going on with their friends. They may be concerned, they may admire, or they may simply think they are passing on the truth, and they go and tell others what their impression of the situation is. Usually this impression fails to capture all the details or factors of a situation, and a false report is given. This false report becomes accepted as the truth by friends, and the character and reputation of a person are injured, perhaps more greatly than by an enemy, because nobody thinks to question the report.

The solution, however, is not simply to stop saying anything about anybody. When we say things, we should do everything we can to verify the truth. Talk to the person about whom you were going to talk. Talk with them. I find it odd that we so willing to say all kinds of things about others when they aren't around, even good things, but it is almost impossible for us to address things of any weight face to face.

Part of that is because we're afraid our friends will be offended if we question or challenge them. I can't bring up my concern directly with my friend, because it would cause a confrontation! But a confrontation is better than gossip.

A lot of people wish their friends would butt out when it comes to personal decisions. This happens a lot with raising children. Two families may be the best of friends, but God forbid one start giving advice to the other on how to raise kids. Much of this reaction comes from a sense that I am the best person to make a decision for or about myself or my family. I know the full context, the potential repercussions, the alternatives. I know the traditions of my family, the effect my decisions and actions have on myself and others. I probably am the best person to make a decision for myself.

But none of this means a person can't stop and listen to other opinions. We should even be willing to be challenged by our friends and families, to be questioned by them. Because, after all, family traditions really might just be ruts; expected repercussions might just be conditioned assumptions; alternatives are never as varied in one person's mind as in two or more. We should all be willing to hear advice, opinions, alternatives, and even challenges from those who love us and care for us. My way may not be the best way! After all, for as many families as there are, there are ways for raising children. Maybe one technique that I hadn't heard of before will help me out. Maybe the way I've been doing it all along hasn't worked out quite right.

So, the thin-skinned kind of person that won't engage with those close to him who have serious and helpful opinions might just be inviting gossip. Because if they don't bring their opinion to him, they might just end up taking it to someone else.

1 comment:

organistsandra said...

I’d never thought about gossip from this angle, Pastor. You’re right. Explained this way, I know of what you speak, I’m guilty of engaging in such gossip, and I don’t like it. Even when a friend and I don’t speak negatively about a third friend, but simply share concerns, there are times when it leaves me feeling vaguely yucky and discouraged, which is another way to say my conscience is pricked.


I would like to think I’m thick-skinned enough to accept criticism. Sometimes I am. Sometimes I need a day or two to get over the “hurt feelings”. My older sister truly is one person with whom I can and do share honest opinions and seriously discuss hard situations, as you’ve described. What a blessing.


This sounds like an eighth commandment thing – be ready to listen to your friend’s opinion, putting the best construction on his motives.